HillPDA was commissioned to:
- Prepare an Economic Strategy for the expansion of Melbourne’s CBD as part of the Plan Melbourne Metropolitan Planning Strategy; and
- Provide advice on best practice mechanisms and approaches to delivering successful urban renewal precincts based on HillPDA’s international experience.
Our role: The Project Team:
- Analysed the implications for forecast for residential and employment growth in Melbourne for demand for commercial office and retail floorspace as well as for residential dwellings;
- Assessed potential key urban renewal precincts using a range of indicators including: demographic drivers, land use and ownership patterns, social and transport infrastructure demand and provision and property market dynamics;
- Recommended a logical urban renewal precinct development sequence given the outcomes of the research and analysis;
- Identified principles and specific conditions to improve the feasibility of urban renewal in Melbourne; and
- Appraised governance structures and models that were shown to be successful elsewhere to enable positive outcomes to be achieved.
The results: The Economic Strategy played a key role in informing the preparation of the Melbourne Metropolitan Planning Strategy.
Key learning’s: Melbourne is experiencing strong population growth but new strategies must be adopted if it is to remain globally competitive, attract highly skilled labour and respond to new development trends.
Summary of Services: Policy Analysis, Demographic and economic trends analysis, Market Appraisal, Land Use Demand, Modelling, Scenario Testing, Social Infrastructure Needs Assessment